There are many vitamins and combinations of these vitamins that are on the market. Some of them are helpful for specific medical conditions whereas others can be used for general health. The top 5 Vitamins to take for better health have great benefits when taken consistently. You should note that using natural sources of vitamins offers better health but it does take some time to notice these results.
1. Vitamin C is one of the most important vitamins that you can take. If you don’t get enough in your food, then a supplement is essential. Vitamin C helps to fight various illnesses, flush toxins out of the system, prevent cancer, build up the immune system, and many other functions. You can’t overdose on this vitamin because anything that your body doesn’t use is flushed out. Doctors recommend that you take three doses of 1000 mg of Vitamin C per day to maintain better health.
2. Vitamin B12 is another essential nutrient for the body. This one helps to build up the immune system, fight disease, enhance brain and heart function, and stabilize mood, among other things. Many individuals over the age of 30 do not absorb this vitamin from their foods properly. Aside from its necessity in the functioning of the body, this is another reason why it is one of the top 5 vitamins to take for better health. The recommended daily intake for Vitamin B12 is 2.4 mcg. While you can choose to take B12 alone, there are supplements that contain a variety of B vitamins also. If you go with this route, check to make sure that the level of B12 is suitable.
3. Vitamin D plays an important part in maintaining healthy hair, skin and nails but it also helps the heart and the nervous system to function correctly. As well, it can help to prevent certain types of cancer. While getting some sunshine helps the body to create this vitamin, increasing numbers of people are staying inside and not getting the sun that they need. In winter months, this is especially true. This is why it is a top recommended supplement to increase levels of health. Doctors recommend between 5 and 10 mcg per day for the average adult. This number may change depending on your location and situation.
4. Vitamin E is crucial in the functioning of the heart and nervous system. It also helps to keep the skin, nails, hair, and organs healthy. It acts as an anti-oxidant, flushing your system of toxins and free radicals. The recommended dose of Vitamin E is 400 mg per day but this can gradually be increased to 800 mg depending on how deficient your body is of this nutrient.
5. Vitamin A is essential in maintaining healthy skin, eyes, and bones. It is also necessary for the immune system to function correctly. To ensure that you get enough of the supplement, you can take up to 7,500 mcg of beta-carotene (for the body to convert to Vitamin A) per day for a week. During the flu season, you are recommended to take 1,500 mcg of Vitamin A per day for a week.
Extended vitamin therapy at this level should only be done under the supervision of a doctor. On a consistent basis, an average adult female should take 700 mcg per day but an adult male is advised to take about 900 mcg per day.